The Sewer Tie-In Loan Fund (STILF) is a lending program that provides low-cost loans to homeowners to connect to the local sewer system and abandon their individual septic system or cesspool. Municipalities must opt in to provide this service to their residents.
- One-time steps to begin participating:
- Apply to DEM’s Project Priority List and obtain a Certificate of Approval
- Apply to the RI Infrastructure Bank for a lending facility and close the financing
- Establish residential loan underwriting criteria. Municipalities can update criteria at any time.
- Low municipal staff administration time obligation: RIHousing is responsible for all underwriting and loan servicing
- Financing is provided to municipalities at a 0% rate with no fees
- Financing funds are made available for residential loans. As the residential loans are repaid, the municipal repayment obligation is reduced.
Want to join this list? Contact us!
How It Works
- Interest-free loans of up to $10,000 with a five-year repayment term are available to residential property owners
- Residents seeking STILF financing must live in participating municipality
- Want to learn more? Contact RIHousing
Residents of participating communities should contact their city or town hall for a financing application.
Municipalities interested in learning more about the STILF should contact: