The Community Septic System Loan Program (CSSLP) is a lending program that provides low-cost, long-term financing to residential property owners for the repair or replacement of substandard or failing septic systems or to replace cesspools when the homeowner wishes to upgrade to a septic system. Municipalities must opt in to provide this service to their residents.
How It Works
- Steps to participate:
- Develop a DEM-approved On-Site Wastewater Management Plan; apply to DEM’s Project Priority List and obtain a Certificate of Approval
- Apply to the RI Infrastructure Bank for a lending facility and close the financing
- Establish residential loan underwriting criteria. Municipalities can update criteria at any time
- Low municipal staff administration time obligation: Rhode Island Housing is responsible for all underwriting and loan servicing
- Financing is provided to municipalities at a 0% rate with no fees
- New Shoreham
- North Kingstown
Residents of participating communities should contact their city or town hall for a financing application.
Municipalities interested in learning more about CSSLP should contact: